Fatal cease-fire violations continue along the line of contact in Nagorno-Karabakh

Fatal clashes at the cease-fire line at the Karabakhi border are recently becoming more intensive, as the OSCE Minsk group co-chairmen travel to the region. On this occasion, the OSCE Chairperson-in-Office strongly condemned the recent violations of the ceasefire agreement, while the Minsk group co-chairmen reminded that “the use of force created the current situation, and its use again would only lead to suffering, devastation, and a legacy of conflict and hostility that would last for generations.” The OSCE Minsk Group is now intensifying its effort regarding this issue before the upcoming December summit.

 

Below we provide you with several articles regarding this issue.

 

Two dead in fresh clash over rebel Caucasus region

(Source: http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LDE68304J.htm)

 

YEREVAN/BAKU, Sept 4 (Reuters) – Two Azeri soldiers were killed in fighting on Saturday near rebel Nagorno-Karabakh, in the second clash in days on the front lines of the enclave’s conflict with Azerbaijan. Each side accused the other of launching “sabotage” attacks in the early hours of Saturday morning. Skirmishes are common around the mountain region, where Christian ethnic Armenians threw off rule by Muslim Azerbaijan with the support of Armenia in fighting that erupted as the Soviet Union collapsed two decades ago.

The unresolved conflict is a constant threat to stability in the South Caucasus, a region bordering Russia, Iran and Turkey, and criss-crossed by pipelines carrying oil and gas to Europe.
The Azeri Defence Ministry said its forces suffered the casualties when repelling an Armenian attack. It initially said one soldier was killed and another wounded. Private Azeri broadcaster ANS and the APA news agency, citing the ministry, later reported that the wounded soldier had also died. The Nagorno-Karabakh army had said in a statement earlier that it had fought off an assault by an Azeri sabotage unit at the northeastern section of the front line on Saturday morning.

“As a result of the measures taken by the Karabakh side … the Azeris were driven back, leaving one body,” it said, adding that no Armenians were killed. On Tuesday, Azerbaijan said two of its soldiers and three Armenians had died in fighting. Armenian-backed forces in Nagorno-Karabakh denied suffering any losses in that clash.
Speaking the next day, Azeri President Ilham Aliyev promised his country’s flag would again fly over Nagorno-Karabakh. Oil-producing Azerbaijan, host to oil majors including BP, ExxonMobil and Chevron, frequently threatens to take the region back by force and has spent heavily on its military in recent years.
An estimated 30,000 people died in the war which ended with a ceasefire but no peace deal in 1994. Armenian forces hold seven Azeri districts surrounding Nagorno-Karabakh which form a land corridor with Armenia. (Writing by Matt Robinson; editing by David Stamp)

 

More Sources:

OSCE Minsk group co-chairmen press release of 06.09.2010: http://www.osce.org/item/45920.html
OSCE Minsk Group co-chairmen press release of 09.09.2010: http://www.osce.org/item/46006.html

At Least Two Azerbaijani Soldiers Killed During Attack on Artsakh Post:http://www.yerevanreport.com/33661/azerbaijani-soldiers-killed-attack-artsakh-post/
Azerbaijan:Tensions high, exchange of fire continues: http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/news-221157-azerbaijan-tensions-high-exchange-of-fire-continues.html

 

 

News Roundup

Subscribe to our news roundup to get news on your email.

Archive

November 2019
SU MO TU WE TH FR SA
 12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930